When troubleshooting you’re OSD, it is always good to know those log locations. Here is a quick list of the smsts.log and it’s locations during the deployment:
- WindowsPE, before HDD format: x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log
- WindowsPE, after HDD format: x:\smstslog\smsts.log
- Windows, SCCM agent not installed: c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- Windows, SCCM agent installed: c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- Windows x64, SCCM agent installed: c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log
- Task Sequence completed: c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\smsts.log
- Task Sequence completed x64: c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\smsts.log
Are you PXE booting?
Better have this log file in you favourites; \\DPServer\D$\SMS_DP$\sms\logs\SMSPXE.log. It records details about the responses to PXE boot clients and details about expansion of boot images and boot files.
Need to debug what is happening with your group policy preferences? Then enable the logging and tracing setting under:
Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy
Enable one or more of the preference client-side extensions.
Reboot the machine and logon.
The logs will be written to:
- User trace %COMMONAPPDATA%\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace\User.log
- Computer trace %COMMONAPPDATA%\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace\Computer.log
- Planning trace %COMMONAPPDATA%\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace\Planning.log
Just completed a 3 day troubleshoot course for System Center Configuration Manager 2007. The course was aimed at administrators who are responsible for maintaining ConfigMgr systems and clients. Some of the detail was beyond what I needed. I really enjoyed the Management Point troubleshooting, operating system deployment and Software updates sessions.
The course was run by Albert Sauz. He is a super guy with a great detail of experience in SCCM and Exchange.
This instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to troubleshoot common System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (ConfigMgr) issues. Students will learn how to properly configure ConfigMgr components and how to use various tools and log files used in ConfigMgr troubleshooting.
- Troubleshooting Resources for Configuration Manager 2007
- Management Point Troubleshooting
- Client Health
- Software Metering, Software and Hardware Inventory
- Software Distribution
- Software updates
- Operating system deployment
- Site to site replication
- Desired Configuration Management